Shredding the love

As the cold weather settles in, signaling the presence of the upcoming snowboarding and skiing season, snow enthusiasts eagerly anticipate the opportunity to once again indulge in their beloved winter activity. The arrival of fresh powder and groomed trails creates an ideal setting for enthusiasts to don their boots and embark on the exhilarating journey down the majestic mountain slopes. Regardless of whether one is a seasoned professional, effortlessly gliding through the snow, or a novice, eagerly embracing the thrill of their first trip, the slopes offer a wide variety of experiences to fulfill the needs for every skill level. 

“My favorite part about snowboarding is just being able to get on top of a mountain and see the view at the peak,” said Coos Bay YoungLife leader Jeremy Rowe, who likes to board at Willamette Pass. “And then descend the mountain as fast or slow as possible.”

Rowe believes that Willamette Pass Resort provides trails for those with little experience but also many for the more skilled. 

“With persistence and perseverance carries you a long way with snowboarding, especially a ‘never back down’ attitude on the mountain can either break you or build you up and it’s your choice to choose,” said Rowe.

According to Rowe, the most favorable time for engaging in snowboarding or skiing in Oregon is during the colder months of January and February. With many more trips to the snow in the future, heis thrilled for this upcoming season for it has a lot of excitement to offer.

“Take it slow and try it a few times before you decide whether you like it or not,” said Chelsea Burns, the Marshfield Outdoor Club adviser. 

Burns has enjoyed skiing for over 20 years, starting when she was around ten years old. It is a passion for her that has only grown as she’s gotten older.

“I always suggest trying to ski first because it’s a little easier to pick up,” she said. “Sometimes the first time you try it, it can be discouraging because the weather is not good or you are falling down a lot. Also, don’t wear jeans and a sweatshirt, make sure to wear some snow bibs or waterproof pants. Waterproof gloves are also necessary. When you are learning, you are bound to fall down a lot and it only makes it worse when you are wet and cold as well.”

According to Burns, she also believes that the experience following a day of skiing or snowboarding has the potential to impart valuable lessons on how to develop a deep admiration for the environment around us. Additionally it can encourage us to have a more positive mindset.

“A bad day on the mountain is still better than being trapped indoors,” she said. 

This perspective highlights the trans-formative power of outdoor activities and the profound impact they can have on one’s overall well-being and outlook on life. 

With Oregon’s winter months, the snowboarding and skiing season has officially begun. Outdoor enthusiasts like MHS student Danner Wilson now have the opportunity to experience the thrill of gliding down the slopes, surrounded by the breathtaking winter landscapes that this region has to offer. 

“Seeing the snow and gliding through fresh powder is a feeling nothing else could fulfill,” said Wilson.

Wilson believes that just getting time in the fresh snow is the key to success.

“Doing things after one attempt isn’t accurate,” he said. “Practice makes you one step closer to perfection.”

As the snow continues to fall, ski resorts are diligently preparing their slopes and offering a wide range of activities and events to cater to all skill levels. From beginners who are just starting out to seasoned pros who have been hitting the slopes for years, this season promises a thrilling experience for those who enjoy the adrenaline rush while having fun.