The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

How do Pirates celebrate April Fools’ Day? They walk the prank

April Fools’ Day is celebrated throughout the world. It varies in many ways, but many countries celebrate a day or devote a few days–or even a week–to good-humored prank wars with family and friends. 

“My family loves April Fools’ Day,” said Marshfield High School student Yesica Denova-Lopez. “We play pranks on each other and it’s really fun.”

In the U.S., April Fools’ Day occurs on the first of April each year, and includes playing hoaxes and pranks. While the exact history of April Fools’ is a mystery, there is some knowledge of how it came to be. A similar day had been spread throughout Britain in the 18th century and had become a two-day tradition in Scotland. On the first day, people were sent on fake errands, and the following day it would be Tailie Day which had involved pranks played on people’s derrieres, such as putting fake tails or “kick me” signs on them.

People celebrate April Fools’ Day differently throughout the world. In France, people prank you with fish. The longstanding tradition of sticking paper fish on peoples backs, almost like a “kick me” sign, and saying the words, “Poisson d’Avril” meaning April fish. Also in part of Spain they have a town-wide food fight. This tradition has been around for more than 200 years. Iran has also been celebrating the holiday, as far back as the 5th century. 

In 1508, French Poet Eloy d’amervel referred to a poisson d’avril (April Fool), historians thinking it possibly the first reference to the celebration in France. Other historians think that April Fools’ originated in the Middle ages because New Years back then was celebrated on March 25th in most European countries/towns. Those who celebrated New Years Eve on the first of January made fun of those who celebrated on other dates by the invention of April Fools Day.

One of the most common pranks people play on the holiday is the “kick me” sign where you write the words, “kick me” on a piece of paper and tape it on your unsuspecting friends back. Another popular prank is the oreo toothpaste prank. You buy oreos and take out the filling in them. Then you fill the oreo with toothpaste and give them to your friends as a surprise. One other popular prank to play on April Fools day is the water balloon cake. You start with a balloon and fill it with water, then put it in a cake pan and frost the top of the balloon with frosting. When your friends cut into the surprise they  will see that it was really a water balloon instead of cake.

April Fools Day has an unknown origin and there are many theories as to where it originated from. April Fools Day has been linked to festivals by historians just like the “Hilaria” which was celebrated by and in ancient Rome at the very end of March. This was followed by the cult of Cybele which had involved people dressing up in different disguises and mocking the citizens. This festival was also thought to be inspired by the Egyptian legends Isis, Osiris, and Seth. Another day that April fools day is linked to is the Vernal equinox which is also known as the first day of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. This is when Mother Nature fooled people with changing the weather to be unpredictable.