Reusable water bottles

Reusable water bottles have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. They’ve evolved from being only a hydration item to a lifestyle and personality statement. Reusable water bottle sales have unexpectedly increased as more people look for eco-friendly products that are both stylish and sustainable for their daily lives. These products range from stainless steel designs to colorful materials. 

As of lately, there has been a surge of trends regarding the type of water bottles people are purchasing, largely influenced by social media. 

“I dislike the trends,” says Marshfield High School teacher Garrett King. “I think the explosions of the Stanley cup and the Owala is because influencers have them on their social media and then people want to be like them and run out and get it.” 

People are exposed to an unlimited supply of content on social media sites such as TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube that show cool water bottles being utilized in many different places, from at school to the gym. Influencers often share aesthetically pleasing images that highlight the popularity of reusable water bottles in order to promote particular brands or designs. This shows an aspirational way of living that is associated with the use of a water bottle. 

“Be your own person and get your own water bottle,” King exclaimed. 

The Owala water bottle is in style recently because of its sleek design, as well as the fact that users can drink from multiple openings. It’s also insulated, to keep drinks colder for a longer period of time. 

“I like the bright and vibrant colors,” said MHS sophomore Abby Erb, whose favorite water bottle is made by Owala. 

However, she mentions that one challenge she has encountered is that it molds easily, requiring weekly deep cleaning with all parts removed.

A very big cause of the rise of reusable water bottles is the benefit to the environment. 

Single use water bottles are having a devastating effect on our environment,” said MHS science teacher Jennifer ViksneHill. “I think it’s hard for us to see, because our garbage is trucked elsewhere, and we don’t see the effects directly in our spaces, but most single-use plastics don’t deteriorate as quickly as other materials do, which means that they remain in the mass of garbage for generations.”

A reusable water bottle not only allows for self-expression through its vibrant colors, but it also provides the opportunity to personalize it with stickers and decals.

“I like my water bottle because it has personality and I have decorated it with lots of stickers,” stated King. 

Another compelling reason people may opt for reusable water bottles is to save money. By using a reusable water bottle, individuals can avoid the need to purchase single-use plastic water bottles which can be quite expensive over time.

“I want my five dollar latte,” said ViksneHill. “I don’t want to spend $1.25 of that on eight ounces of water when I can just use my own cup! If we prioritize where we put our money, we can make significant changes for the better. Stop using your money to buy water in gross plastic and just bring a water bottle so you can get good coffee at the end of the week.”