C’mon Robbie, let’s go party

Margot Robbie, who stars as lead actress Barbie and producer in the 2023 “Barbie” hit film, is receiving recent accolades for breaking the stereotype barrier. The movie is about Barbie and Ken leaving Barbie land and entering the real world–but as they are there they realize how people in the real world are brave enough to break out of the traditional gender roles prevalent in Barbie land. The movie’s purpose is to show the worth of women, and point out that Barbie perfection is impossible.

The movie, rated at PG-13, reached approximately 1.2 million views–a testament to the power of their message. Although the film made some bold statements about women’s struggles, Robbie has not been nominated to win an Academy Award for the production. Instead, Hollywood favorite Ryan Gosling, who played Ken in the film, has received awards for his portrayal. 

“The Barbie movie was such an eye opening movie,” said past Marshfield High School student Keara Guyton. “It really showed how gender norms play a big part in our society and how women deserve some recognition because we aren’t lazy or incapable–we can accomplish things.”

“Barbie” has been nominated for many awards this awards season, at the Golden Globes, Critics’ Choice, and BAFTA Awards programs. It has also been nominated for several Academy Awards, but none recognizing Robbie for her acting. This has created buzz and made many fans upset, wondering if the feminist undertone of the film was completely missed–especially given Gosling’s nomination.

“I thought the movie was funny,” said MHS sophomore Elizabeth Bourell. “I think my favorite thing about it was that Ryan Gosling played Ken. I think one of the best parts of the movie was when all of the Kens were singing together. But overall the movie was really good and funny.”  

The media has a tendency to over-dramatize issues and blow them out of proportion, and some believe this is what is happening with the Barbie-Oscars dilemma. The media is only focusing on the fact that she was not nominated for actress in a leading role. However, she was nominated for best picture as the executive for Barbie. She has also won several other awards for her production of Barbie in recent months.