Planning a picture perfect picnic

As summer is rapidly approaching, many students are thinking about what they would like to spend their time doing outside of school this summer. With so many different activities to choose from, it is sometimes difficult to find the perfect outing that doesn’t break the bank. Picnics are the answer. They provide a change in scenery, and can be the perfect outing for anyone on a budget. Plus, picnicking has been trending on social media for the past couple of years. According to the Smithsonian, the search phrase “picnic date ideas” has increased 385 percent in the last two years.

During the pandemic, the only safe way to socialize was outside. People turned to picnics as a way to socialize in a time where most restaurants had closed. The cute blankets and adorable charcuterie board arrangements attracted Gen Z, which is also part of the reason why they have been so popular. 

However, picnics are not a new idea. The popular outdoor dining experience even dates back to the Victorian ages. They believed that picnics could only be enjoyed by the wealthy, and some of their popular picnic foods included roast duck, meat pie, plum pudding, and cheesecake.  

Nowadays, pretty much anyone can enjoy a picnic. For most people, picnics serve as a convenient, inexpensive way to host a gathering outside. Picnics are the ultimate classic way to get together and enjoy food, company, and nature. 

“Picnics are a fun way to just get outside and spend time with friends and family,” said sophomore Ana Lemmons. 

Spending time outside is not only fun, but it also has many benefits for our physical and mental well-being. A picnic on a sunny day aids in vitamin D and calcium absorption, which helps to build strong bones, muscles, and tendons. Studies have shown that being outside in nature reduces stress and risk of cardiovascular disease.

“I would say that the best time of year to have a picnic is summer because the weather is generally nicer,” commented MHS sophomore Seth Baugh.

Outdoor activities have also been shown to improve sleep due to the light from the sun helping to balance your energy use. It’s been proven by scientists that spending time in nature improves mental health because it can help people get out of their heads. Time outdoors has also been proven to improve memory, attention span, and creativity.

Some of the most popular picnic foods include fresh fruit, salad, chips and dip, and cookies. There are entire cookbooks that focus on exactly what to bring to a picnic, from pasta salads to fruit salads to breads.

“My favorite type of fruit to eat at a picnic would probably be watermelon,” said sophomore Nivella Godinez. 

For many people, sandwiches are a classic go-to when having a picnic lunch. Sandwiches are very versatile because they can be put together in different ways, depending on the person’s preference. Whether it’s classic PB&J, traditional ham and cheese, or mouth-watering BLT, sandwiches are a food that even picky eaters can get on board with. 

“A picnic is just not the same without strawberry lemonade,” said Lemmons. “It’s definitely a must-have, especially on a nice day, lemonade always hits.”

Picnics come in a wide range of prices, from simple potluck style to thousand dollar luxury picnic packages. When going on a date or having a big gathering for lots of people, a picnic is usually never the wrong answer. 

Choosing the right outfit for a picnic depends on the location, weather, and personal style preferences. Comfortable and breathable clothing options include cotton dresses, shorts, jeans, or a light top. Accessories such as hats, sunglasses, and a small bag add both style and functionality to an outfit. 

“I think just wear whatever you’re comfortable in,” said student Seth Baugh. “There’s no need to dress up and be fancy.”

Picnics provide a timeless escape, allowing people to enjoy nature, food and company. Whether in a park, on a beach, or sitting atop a hillside, picnics create lasting memories and strengthen connections. Outdoor dining is a fantastic way to nourish both body and soul while enjoying nature’s beauty.

“I think an ideal place to have a picnic would probably be at the beach, as long as it’s not too windy,” said MHS student Jamison Batdorff. “We’re pretty lucky to live right on the coast.”

Basic Pasta Salad Recipe 

• 16oz garden rotini pasta cooked + drained
  • 16oz zesty italian salad dressing
  • 6oz crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 can sliced black olives
  • Cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
  • 5oz mini pepperonis

Mix everything together, chill, and serve!