Pirates in the paint

As the 2023-2024 Basketball season continues the Marshfield boys are on a 9 win 4 loss season so far, working their way up the leaderboard. The boys have been working hard and putting in many hours on and off the court. 

“We are doing good,” said senior Gannon Frost. “I am proud of what we have accomplished and am excited to see what we can do further on in the season.”

From lucky clothing to certain routines, many of the boys have different pre-game rituals. They run through these to help focus and to mentally and physically prepare for game day. Some of these routines provide a way for the team to bond and be able to connect with each other. 

Before every away game I’ll eat a lunchable,” said senior Joe Herbert. “We also like to freestyle before games.”

The boys have been pushed very hard in practice to be the best they can and they are getting better every day. Coach Ainsworth is constantly teaching them new things.

“Coach A helps because he pushes us in practice to get better,” said junior Steel Carpenter. “And he puts in a lot of time outside of practice, too.”

During practice, players are given physically grueling workouts designed to enhance teamwork and get players in shape. These drills are a huge part of the pirate’s success. The practices may be intense and hard for the players but they fight through it so they can be successful.

“For practice we always start off with our pirate warm-up, then go into a core drill,” said Herbert. “After that we do defensive work, then whatever special drills he has for the day.”

While this season is off to a great start for the boys this year, they still have some things to work on and improve. 

We are doing good, I am proud of what we have accomplished and am excited to see what we can do further on in the season,” said Frost. 

Ainsworth is spending hours on and off the court to make sure the boys have the best chances of winning. But making the most out of their practices is the number one priority.

“I think I could improve by just continuing to go 100% in practice and in all of our drills,” said junior Steel Carpenter. 

Many players have individual goals, as well as the shared team goals, but their main common goal was to beat cross-town rivals North Bend bulldogs–and they indeed did beat them 69-49 in January.

As a team, the boys have a close connection, and play very well together. Many of them have been playing together for years. 

“I think I can help my teammates in the game with plays and getting them open for successful results,” said Herbert.

The key is to maintain the motivation they have already built. The plan is to do this through a collective commitment to continuous improvement, and fostering a culture of resilience and teamwork. They draw inspiration from both victories and defeats, using each game as an opportunity to learn, adapt, and strengthen their bond on and off the court.

“I keep motivated by the people who surround me,” said Frost. “And try to make them proud.”