The Paranormal Cirque

The Paranormal Cirque has come to Coos Bay, and with it, nightmares and horrors have followed. It was created to have a distinctive experience for viewers by contorting the concept of a circus, adding in elements of the supernatural. The show includes a comprehensive plotline, rather than just a series of normal circus acts, intertwining theater and cabaret styles alongside abnormal performances. It adds twists and turns to engage the audience, keeping them on their toes and creating a truly one of a kind experience. 

“My favorite act was during the intermission when the man with the mask was flipping everyone off,” said Marshfield High School junior Kaylei Olmedo, who paid the steep ticket price for a night of entertainment.

Setting up for these performances requires quite a lot of planning, training and more. Performers train for a minimum 12 hours a week, ensuring that they’re capable of performing with their physical balance, coordination, strength and agility. Aerial acts require extra strength, flexibility, balance and grace. 

“It was crazy seeing the [acrobat] almost fall on the tightrope,” MHS student Elizabeth Bourell said. 

The overall setup requires special transportation and coordination. A Paranormal Cirque team member travels to the next performance town ahead of the rest of the cast to figure out setup logistics. No installation is permanent, and all sets are easy access to assemble and tear down to carry on the show from one region to another. 

North Bend’s performance consisted of the big tent, a few food stands and a haunted house section. The lobby was filled with fog, with performers in elaborate costumes wandering around and scaring guests in the lobby before the shows. 

“The Paranormal Cirque evoked an eerie yet captivating atmosphere,” said MHS graduation coach Missy Cooper. “Like a mysterious dance between the supernatural and the ordinary. There’s a sense of enchantment and unease, where the unknown unfolds in a performance that pushes the boundaries of the everyday.”