The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

Senior Assassin: Who will make it out alive?

With the 2023-2024 school year coming to an end, we’ll say goodbye to the seniors of Marshfield High School. And with goodbyes come fun! This may include events stemming from senior sunset–where seniors wake up early and meet up to watch the sun rise–to senior pranks. This year, there is a new way for seniors to spend their last days–senior assassin! 

Senior assassin is a game that seniors in high school can participate in that basically resembles a huge game of tag. The rules of the game are simple: A student is assigned a target, and then that individual devises a plan to hunt them down and mark them out. While that may sound intense, the weapons used are plastic, typically water guns. For the last person standing, there’s usually a prize–cash. 

This year’s senior assassin is being hosted by MHS senior, Siena Beckett, along with a handful of other seniors. Beckett was able to give some insight on the activity, rules, and her view on it.

“As far as I know, it’s been attempted previously,  but it wasn’t very successful,” said Beckett. “The gist of the game is there’s a bunch of teams of two whose goal is to get at least one person on another team within a week. The way to assassinate them is to spray them with a water gun. The only caveat is they can’t be wearing a floaty because those grant immunity except on purge days, which last 24 hours.” 

While at MHS, Beckett has been involved in student body, journalism, tennis, and many other activities. One of her main missions has been to infiltrate the school with spirit–spirit that has been at a low since the pandemic and home-based learning.

“When I was younger, I always saw these fun school spirit things in movies, so I think it’s really cool to make those ideas come to life,” she said. “To me activities like this are what makes school so much more enjoyable. I think without fun activities like this at school just starts to suck the life out of people. “

While Beckett is the primary organizer for this activity, there are a plethora of other individuals that are excited and preparing for the event. MHS senior Chance Browning is very excited about driving all over town searching for other seniors.

“I’m super excited for senior assassin,” says Browning. “I’ve already started preparing for it. It’s all really cool. I think activities like senior assassin just overall builds a stronger bond between our peers.”

Graduation takes place this year on June 8, with the last day for seniors on June 5. That leaves approximately one month for seniors to make some of the last high school memories with their peers before moving on to the next chapter of their lives. 

“When it comes to senior assassin, not only am I a part of the planning committee, but I’m also participating,” said senior Morgan Picatti. “I think activities like this build class togetherness, and myself and many others are so excited!”