Young Life: growing together

Young Life, a non-profit organization that was established in 1941, has been a shining light of support and guidance for young individuals all across the globe. For middle schoolers, there is a similar program called WyldLife. With a heartfelt mission to introduce adolescents to the teachings of Jesus Christ and assist them in nurturing their faith, Young Life has firmly established itself as a leading influence in youth development.

“Young Life is a high school outreach program that provides a safe space for teens to come and hear about the love of Jesus,” says Destyni Fuller, a Young Life leader with over ten years of experience with the organization.

Young Life’s approach is centered around believing in the incredible power of relationships. Young Life has placed a great deal of importance on creating authentic connections with young people, meeting them right where they are, and offering a supportive community that fosters personal and spiritual growth. This unique relational model truly sets Young Life apart, as it creates an environment where teenagers feel completely accepted, valued, and truly understood. 

“Young Life is one of my favorite things ever,” said Azura Beckett, a 10th grade student at Marshfield High School. “I love Young Life because it introduced me to Jesus. It changed my life forever.” 

Young Life is all about reaching out to teenagers in different places like schools, communities, and camps. 

“I think the leader’s role in the Young Life community is to help teach the people who go to Young Life about God and be good role models and a support system overall,” Beckett says, describing how leaders play a role in the community. 

The leaders, who are usually young adults volunteering their time, really get involved in the lives of these teens. They go to school events, sports games, and other social activities. By being there, they build real relationships and have chances to talk about important things like faith, life, and purpose. 

Then, there are the Young Life camps. These incredible experiences offer teenagers a much-needed respite from the monotony of everyday life, granting them a golden opportunity to forge deep connections with nature and with their peers. These camps are carefully crafted to strike the perfect balance between thrilling adventures, delightful fun, and meaningful discussions. The camps create an atmosphere that warmly embraces young souls, allowing them to embark on a journey of self-discovery and spiritual exploration, all within a safe and accepting environment. 

“I had felt excited when I first arrived,” said MHS student Isabella Johnson. “It was a very safe space, everybody seemed happy. It was very relaxing and I quickly became comfortable when I was there.”

Young Life’s impact goes beyond just transforming individuals; it also plays a big role in building communities. This sense of community becomes a source of strength and resilience for young people as they navigate the challenges of adolescence.

”Young Life’s mission is to share about Jesus in a non-threatening way,” said Fuller. “Many people could see it as a youth group, but it is not. We try to present the gospel to students who usually otherwise wouldn’t go to a youth group.”