Superbowl Sunday: An unofficial American holiday

The Super Bowl stands as one of the most significant sporting events in the United States. It serves as the grand finale of the National Football League season, with over 100 million streams in 2023. This event is filled with excitement and entertainment as it includes funny commercials, spectacular halftime performances, and big competition between the best football teams in the country. This year, the Super Bowl will be played at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, the home of the Raiders.

“The Super Bowl is kinda like an American holiday,” said Marshfield High School history teacher Garrett King. “Even if you’re not into football, it gives you something to talk about. The commercials are generally pretty funny and it’s just a good time to hang out.”

Super Bowl commercials have become a cultural phenomenon of their own, alongside the game itself, as some viewers only watch the game to see the commercials. Super Bowl commercials have become well known because of their cinematographic quality, unpredictability, humor, and use of special effects. In 2023, a 30-second Super Bowl commercial cost a record-high average of $7 million, according to Forbes. In 2022, a 30-second commercial slot during the Super Bowl cost $6.5 million, which was an increase from the $5.5 million asked for in 2021. 

“There was a Doritos commercial where the guy was in a time machine that I liked,” said Eliot Aley, a junior at Marshfield High School. “Also, the avocados from Mexico jingle was really funny when I was about eight years old.” 

Advertisers know tons of people are tuning in for the big game so they’re willing to pay big prices to run a Super Bowl commercial in the hopes that it will be the one fans can’t stop talking about the next day. The more companies are willing to pay, the more broadcasters will try to charge.

The iconic halftime performances leave spectators in awe year after year. While it may come as a surprise to some, the truth is that Super Bowl halftime show performers don’t get paid for their concerts at all. Instead, the NFL pays for all expenses associated with putting on the halftime show, including travel costs. The publicity and exposure the artists gain from performing during halftime serves as payment enough.

“Dr. Dre and Eminem had a good [half-time show] a couple years ago,” said King. “And of course when I was a kid there was the infamous Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake.”

While many different singers have graced the stage during the halftime show, there are certain qualities each act must possess–for starters, they must be popular at the time of the Super Bowl.

“My favorite halftime performance was the one with Bruno Mars in 2014,” said Aley. “That one was really cool.”

The Super Bowl provides an opportunity for friends and family to get together and bond over their beloved teams and delicious food. Hosting Super Bowl parties has gotten more and more popular among families in America. According to the National Retail Foundation roughly 90 million people plan to host a Super Bowl party or attend one. 

“Usually we will stay home or go to a friend’s house to watch the game,” said MHS teacher Amanda Johnson.

It’s common for football followers to dress in their team’s jersey or colors and root for their teams. Those supporting opposing teams usually engage in competitive banter. One thing all parties have in common: the food and drinks abound.

“I like going to other people’s Super Bowl parties because it takes away from the added stress of hosting one,” Aley mentioned. 

The Super Bowl is one of the most profitable days of the year for the restaurant and bar industry, as well. Due to the high demand for beer, pizza, and wings, businesses can score big profits by stocking up on the best sellers. 

For the lucky fans, seeing their favorite team make it to the Super Bowl can be the best part. The most popular NFL team in the United States today are the iconic Dallas Cowboys. Although, this year the 49ers and the Ravens are predicted to make it to the Super Bowl in 2024.

“I think the Ravens are going to go to the Super Bowl,” King said. “They have the MVP Lamar Jackson, so that’s always a good thing to have. But I hope the Detroit Lions make it to the Super Bowl because they are usually a terrible team, but they are decent this year so that would be cool to see.”

Since Oregon is on the west coast, many residents favor the west coast teams.

“Who do I think is gonna win the Super Bowl? I think it’s gonna be the 49ers,” stated Aley.