Bykes for Tykes makes annual food and toy run

On December 2nd, the South Coast Bykes for Tykes organization orchestrated its yearly extravaganza, merging the roar of motorcycle engines with the festive cheer of the holiday season. Established in 2002 by Walt Evans, it has blossomed for over two decades into a heartwarming tradition that has provided food, bikes, and toys to countless families in need. 

“Being a kid that grew up here, and we didn’t have much, I just started raising money,” Evans said. “I joined, and we just started raising money and started donating the stuff to the Salvation Army.” 

Evans’s personal connection to the cause adds an authentic touch to the initiative, resonating with the community he aims to uplift. While it began as a modest undertaking, it has now evolved into a community-wide celebration of generosity. Last Saturday, the Public Square Center parking lot, with Bi-Mart and Big Lots in the background, was transformed into a dazzling display of motorcycles of various makes and models, each adorned with festive decorations. Santa hats perched atop riders’ heads created an enchanting atmosphere as they geared up for the toy, food, and bike run. 

“Going and doing all the shopping and buying all the stuff for the kids and ordering the bicycles, having a kid show up and you’re helping hand out the stuff and seeing the smiles on their faces,” Evans says are some of the best parts about running Bykes for Tykes.

Near the entrance, a fire engine stood tall, featuring none other than Santa Claus himself, who greeted onlookers and built anticipation for the gifts and goodies awaiting distribution. Buses loaded with toys and food followed closely, as eager volunteers stood by, ready to assist in the unloading process. 

“It’s changed me to the point that I think I want to keep going,” Evans shared, expressing his commitment to the cause and the impact it has had on him personally. 

As trucks filled with bikes and tricycles came to a stop, volunteers sprang into action, efficiently loading the cargo destined for local families in need. The revving of engines grew louder, creating a symphony of holiday spirit that echoed the community’s dedication to making a difference.

“Participating in and helping out during the toy run is huge,” Evans said. “How could it be more involved? I guess just getting out there and being part of this and donating to it or bringing a toy by and just seeing what we do for our community.”

With the echoes of engines lingering in the air, the South Coast Bykes for Tykes event once again proved that the true magic of the season lies in the generosity and kindness of a community that cares. Families registered to receive the donations and were able to shop on December 9th, showing that the spirit of giving continues to shine brightly in the South Coast community.