The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

The Kicker that Could

exc-5df829e7014def4547e95d11
EPUERTO
exc-5df829e7014def4547e95d11

Marshfield senior Arturo Ledesma is a kicking prospect for prestigious colleges. Ledesma started his athletic career at Marshfield playing for the soccer team his freshman year, when he realized he had a good kicking leg. His sophomore year he decided to try football and started kicking for the junior varsity football team before moving on to the varsity team later his sophomore year.

“I always loved it, I always knew I had a leg so I decided to just come out and try something new,” Ledesma said. “I fell in love with it and now I just want to pursue my dreams and a career in kicking.”

According to Ledesma, he has had a successful high school career so far. He is the first team kicker and was an honorable mention all-state kicker. He also recently attended a kicking camp in Las Vegas and was ranked 63rd in the nation. According to Ledesma, his main motivation is knowing there is always someone else out there that is better than him, but he also attributes some of his success to his family.

“My biggest motivation is my family, we haven’t grown up with everything and they are the reason I push to be the best I can be and reach my full potential, so I can be able to give them a life better than the one we have,” Ledesma said.

Ledesma said his main focus for now is to get good grades and get the best scholarship he can get, but after high school, Ledesma plans to play for a college and eventually play football at a professional level. Varsity football coach Floyd Montiel has watched Ledesma grow into the kicker he is now.

“Arturo can go as far as he wants to,” Montiel said. “We need to finish the football season, but then it is up to Arturo what he wants to do as far as college goes. He has the leg to go beyond high school.”

Montiel said that Ledesma has grown a lot as a player on the field, but even more as a person off the field.

“Improvements in Arturo is more than just kicking, I think we have just seen him mature as a young man and as a student athlete,” Montiel said. “He has become more comfortable overall and not necessarily as kicker, but as a person too.”

Senior and teammate, Christian Roman, also said he noticed Ledesma’s growth off of the field.

“[Ledesma] has definitely came out of his shell this past year,” Roman said. “He was a shy guy when I first met him, but over these past couple of years he has started to come out of his shell. He has developed into a better person and I think football has played a big role in that.”