The Coos Bay Sock Hop

The Coos Bay Sock Hop, an annual extravaganza orchestrated by the American Veterans group AMVETS, occurs on February 10 this year at the Coos Bay Eagles Lodge. This event unfolds as a vibrant tapestry of community support and lively celebrations. AMVETS chooses a local charity to donate funds to and sets up festivities for people all around town to visit, such as a live band, dinner, drinks, and much more.

“Well, part of it is to raise funds for the veterans,” says AMVETS Commander Joshua St. Ives. Other than the festivities, the sock hop provides money donated by the attendees to a local charity each year. This year, the spotlight falls on the David Dewett Veterans Memorial and the Babes of the Bay, chosen as beneficiaries of the sock hop’s highly charitable efforts.

The event will be hosted at the Eagles, located 568 S 2nd St, in Coos Bay; most events done by the people of AMVETS are also stationed there. 

“So the fundraiser’s purpose, of course, is our local veterans, but with any fundraiser I do the secondary purpose is always to get people together, and have fun,” said Mike Huffman, AMVETS Vice Commander. 

This 50’s style sock hop hopes to bring together people from all over Coos Bay and bring them together, whether it be through volunteering to help organize an event, or through having fun with people around you.

Many people enjoy the sock hop and its festivities; over the last few years that it has taken place, the sock hop has helped many charities by donating the proceeds made through providing wonderful entertainment to the public. But most people are there for entertainment and fun, which resonates as a collective sentiment shared by the entire AMVETS team and the community. The hock hop, with its enduring spirit, continues to stitch together the fabric of joy, unity, and support.

“It’s fun,” said AMVETS Adjutant Carol Gardner. “It entices people to come and participate, and a lot of people just give donations just to give, knowing why we’re doing it.” 

The group does their best to keep the event as fun and enticing as possible, and they are extremely excited to put it on again, as this event has captured the excitement of the public for over three years now. 

“We basically cook your basic diner-type food–hot dogs, hamburgers etc,” Huffman said. “We have a live band, tentatively, have a costume contest for the poodle skirts, and overall silent auction and such. I’m looking forward to it.”

The event offers classic diner-style food, a live band, a costume contest for poodle skirts enthusiasts, and a diverse silent auction. According to Huffman, attendance for the event is anticipated to be high, and they look forward to its continuation in the coming years. With a menu featuring hot dogs and hamburgers, the Coos Bay Sock Hop promises a delightful experience, ensuring its place as a recurring highlight in the community.

As the Coos Bay community eagerly awaits the upcoming sock hop, the excitement hangs thick in the air, promising not just a night of revelry but a tradition seamlessly blending fun, fundraising, and a shared commitment to honoring local veterans. With each passing year, the Coos Bay Sock Hop solidifies its place as a beacon of community spirit, inviting everyone to partake in a celebration that goes beyond the ordinary.

For more information on the sock hop, please visit allevents.in or visit AMVETS Bay Area 10 on Facebook.