Love is in the air: Valentine’s Day dates don’t have to be boring or expensive

Valentine’s Day presents a wonderful opportunity for high school sweethearts to break away from their usual routine and infuse their celebration with creativity. Traveling isn’t always an option for high school students, especially in harsh weather conditions. 

“I don’t really go out on Valentine’s Day because it’s not one of those major holidays,” said Gavin Tucker, a 10th grade student at Myrtle Point High School.  

But for many, Valentine’s Day is considered the day that will make or break a relationship. It can make or break the perfect couple, or leave some people sad and lonely.

“The ideal date for Valentine’s Day, in my opinion, would be a nice dinner,” said Tucker. “And then heading to the beach afterwards.”

Many other ideas could be things such as finding a peaceful location and having a picnic, going and seeing local artist’s work, attending a creative event and making art pieces, trying something outdoorsy by going on a hike along the coast by Shore Acres, or even a homemade dinner. There are many ways for someone to celebrate Valentine’s Day, either in a couple, friend group, or solo.

“The ideal date for me is something low-key and it would really be just spending quality time with the person I love,” said Braedyn Caldera, a Marshfield High School sophomore. 

If planning a picnic, consider finding a peaceful location in a nearby park or your own backyard, away from the chaos. A romantic picnic beneath the starry sky has the power to transform your Valentine’s Day into a truly enchanting experience.

Explore the various local opportunities available for creative expression by attending a paint-and-sip event or immersing yourselves in the vibrant local art scene. By engaging in activities such as painting, sculpture, or appreciating local art, you can unleash your creativity together. Expressing your love through art adds a unique and personal touch to your celebration. A cooking class is an excellent activity for any sweethearts to strengthen their bond as well as culinary skills. It offers the opportunity to explore cooking a new cuisine together, guided by local chefs or culinary experts.

Planning a scavenger hunt within the boundaries of your local area can also be a romantic adventure. Create clues leading to significant places in your relationship, from your school’s first meeting spot to the place where you shared your first kiss. This local exploration promises both nostalgia and excitement, offering moments of connection and joy as you relive the history of your relationship.

If outdoor adventures resonate with you both, spend the day exploring nearby nature reserves, parks, or hiking trails. An active day outdoors can provide an opportunity to connect with nature and each other. Consider packing some food for a day full of adventure followed by a quiet, intimate meal in a scenic spot. 

Dive into a different culture for the day by exploring local cultural opportunities. Whether it’s visiting a nearby museum, trying out a new cuisine at a local restaurant, or attending cultural events happening in your town. Broaden your horizons together as you embrace the richness of diverse experiences. 

Maybe even transform your evening with a movie night right at home. This intimate setting adds a touch of magic to your Valentine’s Day celebration.

“I stay at home and watch the cheesy Hallmark movies with the company of candy and snacks,” said MHS junior Sarada Lowe, who doesn’t mind spending Valentine’s Day alone. 

For some individuals, they think Valentine’s Day is corny and that asking someone to be your Valentine is weird or silly. 

“I don’t think it’s childish or anything,” Caldera explained. “I think it’s a sweet gesture to show that you have feelings for someone.”