Ahoy! New teachers aboard

With the new school year at Marshfield High School starting, students, and even some teachers, are adjusting to a new environment. This year there are several teachers who have joined the MHS staff; the radio, English, band, library, and math departments all gained new staff, as well as a new culinary program joining the mix. 

“I love teaching English and creative writing and I hope to teach a creative writing course in the future as well,” said Jerri Benson, freshman English teacher. 

Before teaching high school English, Benson graduated from Boise State and was teaching college level creative writing. This year is her first year of teaching at the high school level; she has taught for the local community college in the past. She hopes to interest students in reading and help them develop a genuine love for it. 

New radio adviser Christopher Green moved halfway across the country to be closer to his son. Along with that, he applied and was hired to run Marshfield’s KMHS radio and the broadcasting department. He brings a plethora of experience with him. Before MHS, Green was a teacher in Indiana and his goal was to continue teaching on the West Coast.  

“I really enjoy my time teaching and I was hoping for opportunities to continue that here at Marshfield,” explained Green. “There’s lots of different elements to radio and broadcasting that many people don’t know about.” 

Being a teacher comes with many rewarding moments. Sometimes it can be as little as when a student is working on an assignment and it just clicks. 

“It is most rewarding to see students have ‘aha’ moments where they not only understand it but they like it and are all of a sudden completely immersed in what we’re doing,” Green stated. 

This year at Marshfield there is not only a new culinary teacher but the entire culinary course is new. Darrell Folk, also known as Chef Folk, has been active in the community for many years. Before becoming a teacher he owned his own restaurant in downtown Coos Bay, and also taught pastry and culinary arts for over 18 years.

“When it comes to teaching, I’ve been doing it for many years,” said Folk. “Before I actually opened Darrell’s Devil’s Food. It’s really nice to come full circle from teaching for so many years to owning a bakery and now, teaching again.”

“I really enjoy Mr. Folk’s class. He is very encouraging and teaches you skills that will help you later in life.” said sophomore Marina Mascarenas.