Drama in the theater department

The Marshfield High School Drama Department has a new show coming up this year called “The Wind in the Willows.” They also have a new creat-a-play project they are working on, and they are planning a spooktacular haunted house for October. 

“The best part of theater is, honestly, the community that comes from it,” said Vaughn Cordova, Theater Council President. “We have a lot of really good people in there who have a lot of genuine care about theater and about everyone involved in all our events.” 

This year, Cordova’s main focus is the 24-hour theater project. This was a huge part of his campaign last year. 

“It’s basically we all get together in the drama lab after school and we spend a full 2 hours in the theater,” Cordova said.

The first 12 hours of the project include writing, casting, and producing their own play. The second 12 hours include a performance.

“Then we practice, practice, practice!” says Cordova. 

Anybody is welcome at the 24-hour theater project. Participants are excited for this event, as it’s the first time they’ve been able to take part since the pandemic. 

As a way to make money, the theater department is creating a haunted house at the drama lab. Ticket prices will be announced in October, but the hope is to raise money to help fund their future projects.

“The theme is kind of like a pirate cafe,” Cordova says. 

Overall, this year Cordova wants to focus on staying more organized as a whole so they can be productive.

“Since COVID getting everything organized and the community together,” Cordova says. “Which is why this year we already have a schedule for our events.”

For some members of drama, the theater is not new to them; for others they join midway through their high school year. For Theater Council Vice president Wesley Pruitt, the experience of theater has been life-changing, 

“When I started out in 8th grade with an intro to theater, I was kinda shy,” said Pruitt. “But through the years, and all the friends I’ve made, I’ve been coming out of my shell and I’m better at public speaking. My life is better off with theater in it.”

Pruitt is looking forward to working again this year in theater, getting all the projects together, and growing the program. 

“There is one play that is coming up in the first week of December and another play later in the year,” said theater teacher and drama adviser Kevin Gowrylow. “I remind them that it’s called a ‘play’ because you are supposed to play and have fun.”

He likes to stress the fun side of theater, because sometimes students can get caught up in the stress and craziness of putting on a production. There are many aspects of theater that Gowrylow loves, but the immersive nature of theater is one of his favorites,

The drive of the students when we get into a project; I find that I can give enough direction to say, ‘this is the goal that you need to get to, you need to make this character come to life.’ Then I can back off,” he said. “What surprises me is that the student will do it to make that happen.”