The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

The Marshfield Times

Turning 18 Before the Election

The 2020 election saw record numbers of voters turn out throughout the United States. With such a war between conservatives and liberals, one specific group of voters was targeted by voter campaigns to provide the support campaigns needed–those new voters who just turned 18, and those between 18 and 21 years old.

As the first year of voting for many younger people under age 18, this age group has a chance to make an impact on the 2020 presidential election. This is the first year that they are getting to vote in such an important election, and even though it might not seem like it, their voices make a difference. One such voter, 19-year-old Grace Roderick, is casting her ballot for the first time this year during the presidential election.

“I think that it is important for teens to vote because they feel like they have a say and they get to vote on things that will affect their future,” said Roderick.

Although this group of voters seems to be our most important and most impacted it also happens to be the group that historically has the lowest voter turnout. In fact, the US has the lowest rate of youth voters in the world and studies show that current numbers of young voters have decreased, with senior voters increasing.

According to Theconversation.com, “the United States has one of the lowest rates of youth voter turnout in the world.”

Someone who believes in the importance of young voters is Cody Skoff, a current candidate for Coos Bay City Council. He strongly believes in reducing homelessness and reviving tourism in Oregon’s Bay Area. He is also someone who sees and understands the low voter turnout for 18-25 year olds and says he feels it could be blamed on education about voting in schools.

“Just from my experience there was very little education for voting, at least where I went to school,” said Skoff.