Saint Valentine through history

People celebrate Valentine’s Day by spending time with significant others, friends, and the ones you love the most, as well as giving gifts such as chocolate, hearts, and bears. But no one usually thinks about the history of the day, or how we should be focused on quality time with others–and not just on this specific day. 

St. Valentine’s Day was a feast day in the Catholic religion that was added to the liturgical calendar around 500A.D. The day was commemorated for saints named Valentine,  who were honored martyrs and were said to have a tragic backstory. According to NPR it is told that the Roman Emperor Claudious ll murdered two Valentines on February 14th, for not worshiping the Roman God. While in prison, he signed a letter to a woman “From your Valentine.” Many have said the holiday could be inspired by his story.

Different legends celebrate similar saints: Valentine or Valentinus. But since very little was known about these men and there are conflicting reports of the actual history of Valentine’s Day. Although not much is known about the real history of Saint Valentine, on whom the holiday is based, the legend of Saint Valentine has several tellings. 

One legend says that Saint Valentine refused to convert to paganism and was executed by Roman Emperor Claudius II. Prior to his execution, he was able to miraculously heal the daughter of his jailer, who then converted to Christianity along with his family. Another legend says a bishop called Saint Valentine of Terni is the true namesake of the holiday; this Saint Valentine was also executed. 

Regardless of the history, Valentine’s Day is a fixed day on the calendar that got lumped into a mid-February holiday on the ancient Roman calendar called Lupercalia. Some historians believe this is what led to Valentine’s Day becoming all about love. Lupercalia celebrated fertility, and may have included a ritual in which men and women were paired off by choosing names from a jar. 

In general, early Christians often opted to celebrate holidays on days that coincide with existing festivals and celebrations, such as Christmas and winter solstice. So Valentine’s Day was placed on February 14th, while Lupercalia was celebrated on February 15th. 

In Brazil, Valentine’s Day is celebrated on June 12, instead of mid-February. Brazilians use it to commemorate Saint Anthony, the patron saint of marriage and matchmaking. All these celebrations are all about love, but there’s one place that celebrates it differently: Finland. They don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day; instead, they celebrate Friend’s Day. No one has to be left alone without a special someone on that day–the focus is on friends and family. 

“I feel like Valentine’s day should be a holiday,” said Marshfield High School freshman Kloie Beintker. “I feel like it’s a good way to spend time with loved ones.” 

But not everyone has that same opinion for how Valentine’s Day should be celebrated. 

“You should appreciate them every single day, not just one specific day,” said MHS sophomore Melanie Rodriguez. 

Lovers in the United States spend approximately $18 billion on candy, cards, chocolates, flowers, and jewelry around Valentine’s Day. Greeting cards are the most common, but not just for couples–also for family and friends. The most popular Valentine’s candy isn’t the chocolate boxes though, it is the little candy hearts with messages like “be mine” and “kiss me.” Teddy bears are gifted frequently during Valentine’s Day, but they actually have a meaning behind them. They are a symbol of love, affection, comfort, and security. While also being timeless and versatile, they can be enjoyed for a long time.