Full speed ahead

Each spring, runners start to get excited for the weather to improve, and the time they can get back to their sport–running. With all the events available during the season, it’s no surprise that athletes are ready to get back to it. The throwing, jumping, and running events– such as the 4×4, high jump, and javelin–get their endorphins running and keep them coming back, season after season.  

“I like the feeling after running a race even if you don’t make your time,” said Lily Thompson, Marshfield High School track and field athlete. 

Even the athletes have their own things to look forward to or things they really enjoy about track and field. Some things to look forward to could be as simple as the food at concessions, getting to do their favorite event, or something bigger like possibly making it to state.

“My favorite events are the 800 and the 1500,” said MHS track and field athlete Elijah Cellura. “I like it because it’s not too short but it’s not too long.”

Some athletes might have a favorite event because it feels like it’s just right for them. Some might have a favorite because they’re good at it, they also might like it because it helps train for a different event or sport. 

On the flip side, athletes and viewers alike have things they dislike or don’t particularly love about the sport. These things may be there not being enough seating, not being able to see an athlete, the cost to get it, or the times that events start and/or end etc.

“Watching track and field during winter because it’s more likely to be cold and wet,” said athlete parent Jessica Rillon. 

No one wants to sit in the cold wet weather, therefore the weather tends to be a really big thing people don’t like about the track season. Another reason people might not enjoy the weather is that the athletes should try to stay warm and loose for their events but the cold weather makes that really hard. Another thing that makes it hard to stay warm is the time between the events–athletes can be sitting in the cold waiting for their next event for a very long time.

Track is a good sport for people who like counting on themselves with solo events like shot put, although for people who like working as a team there’s events like the 4×4 that relies on everyone. There are many different types of events that cater toward different groups of people in track and field. Many of the events are solo such as some running events like the 100 and 200 meter races, throwing events like javelin, etc. Just because most of the events are solo doesn’t mean they don’t have team events, track has events such as the relays that include teams.

Track meets can be very confusing as to where and when to go; there are many overlapping events, causing some athletes to scratch an event if they can’t make it on time. Track meets can also be very chaotic because there’s events everywhere such as shot puts flying, airborne  javelins, people jumping, running, warming up for their event and so much more. If a person signs up for enough events, they are bound to have overlapping events. If they end up having to scratch an event it isn’t always bad because the coach could put them in another event or substitute another athlete that had to scratch or quit. Although some athletes end up missing out on the event and aren’t filled in, if they ask the coach or another athlete to fill in they will most likely be ok with it.

“Trying to get the girls teams numbers back up so we can fuel the competitive team at district and state, we’ve had quality kids but there’s just not enough to score enough points for our league or state title,” stated head MHS track and field coach Chad Scriven.  

All coaches want something for the sports season. It could be winning state, going to the district meet, or maybe a personal goal like doing something better themselves during the season.

“One of my big goals is to get as many track athletes to qualify for the district meet as possible,” said Marshfield Junior High School track coach Tanya Goodson. “We really want to try to have more people in relays and also some of the longer distance running events.” 

Coaches have things they want to change just as some athletes, these things might be different from coach to coach but are all for the better of their athletes and the sport.

“The boys won state [last year],” said Scriven. “We had several kids that were state champions and three or four of them are returning this year, so last year went pretty well.” 

Even if the MHS 2022-2023 track season went well there’s always room to improve, no matter how good the teams are or how proud the coaches are they still would like to see their athletes work to get better and succeed.