Crafting history: Coach Kathe’s induction

From football to cheerleading, running to swimming, there have been numerous athletic accomplishments over the years at Marshfield High School. Springboarding off of past athletic achievements, MHS has built countless stellar athletic reputations. The cornerstone of these achievements? The coaches, of course.

This November, longtime swimming coach Kathe McNutt is gearing up to receive the honor of induction into the MHS Athletic Hall of Fame. She brings 47 years of coaching swimming to Mingus Park Pool, Gold Coast Swim Team, and of course the MHS swimming program.

The inductions of new MHS hall of fame members can have a different level of importance to each person. 

“I think anytime you recognize those who have accomplished what most of these athletes and other people have, is something that needs to be recognized,” said MHS Athletic Director Greg Mulkey. “I think it points out to people in our community and even those in the state how special it is to be involved and be an athlete for Marshfield High School.”

That’s why a tradition was created in 2003 to honor past great athletes and coaches, and this tradition is the Marshfield Athletic Hall of Fame. Those who are being inducted this year include Bob Jenkins, Ron Caderette, Gene D’Agostini, and MHS’ beloved coach Kathe. This year’s inductees also include the 1970 girls state championship 880 medley relay team, consisting of Cheryl Bates Duman, Carol Knight Kemnitz, Barb Seyler Benson, and Fran Auer Worthen. 

If asked, McNutt says that she is only being inducted because she’s been around so long. However, others would say otherwise.

“Coach Kathe’s accomplishments have definitely helped the team a lot,” said freshman Summer Green, who has been coached by McNutt for seven years. “I don’t want anybody else as my swim coach.”

Coach Kathe is still a beloved member of the Marshfield family. She began her coaching career in 1976, and It’s safe to assume that many have been inspired by her, and many have grown. Aside from running the Mingus Park Pool for the City of Coos Bay, McNutt also works as an Educational Assistant at Madison Elementary School. She opens up the swimming pool nearly every morning, works at Madison, then goes back to the pool for afternoon and evening swim practices. Her dedication is evident in everything she accomplishes.

“She’s definitely inspired me to move forward with swimming,” said Green. “At one point, I wanted to do basketball instead of swimming, but she was like, ‘No Summer, we need you here!’ So here I am.”

Since McNutt is getting inducted to the hall of fame, her swimmers have a shared excitement. Swimming is not a sport that always gets much attention, so that recognition is positive for the swimming community to see.

“I’m definitely excited for her,” Green expressed. 

McNutt was happy to talk about such an honor, even though she rarely takes any credit for all the good she does for the swimming athletes and Coos Bay community.

“The Hall of Fame includes so many people that have done such a great job, and It’s neat to be grouped with them,” said McNutt. “It’s an honor, really.”

She was also quick to mention the importance of those who help to keep the Mingus Park Pool running. It takes a staff of adults, many teen lifeguards, swim lessons instructors, community sponsors, as well as swim team volunteers, to maintain all of the activities the swimming pool offers. Not only do they house the age group and high school swim teams, but also the community college team, free summer swim lessons, library programs, community free swims, Coos Bay School District swimming lessons, and many lap swimming sessions every day. 

“This pool is run as a non-profit, so it’s been just a challenge just to keep the facility open,” said McNutt. “So with all the help of the community–such a great community–and swim team parents, and people who have contributed in general, it’s been a huge success. I really thank them.” 

Those who want to celebrate and honor coach McNutt, as well as all MHS past and present athletic greats, are welcome to attend the 2023 Hall of Fame banquet. It is on November 18 at The Mill Casino Salmon Room in North Bend, Ore. Reservations are required, and can be made by contacting the MHS athletic department. A delectable dinner, silent auction, and current inductions are just a few of the exciting evening events. Tickets are $60 for individuals, or $450 for a table of eight. Doors open at 4:30p.m. 

“I’m proud, and always amazed at the accomplishments we’ve made over the years,” said Mulkey. “And will continue to make in the future. There are many more great athletes here–and even out there–that deserve to be acknowledged.”