A buffet of clubs for every tastebud

Marshfield High School has a club for almost everything. From student support to robotics, service to outdoors, MHS students have a buffet of options. Benefits of joining a club include meeting new people, learning new skills, getting involved, and honing communication skills. Planning club meetings and publicizing them is a huge responsibility and takes a high level of organization–and time. 

Key Club is the world’s largest student-led service organization, spanning 40 countries and over 350,000 members. It aims to empower students to contribute to school and community while fostering leadership skills. The hope is that students learn skills in key club that can carry on in their after-school endeavors.

“This year, our Board has adopted the MHS Key Club 2023-2024 goals,” said Key Club President Harper Thompson, who has been involved in the club for five years. “Among these objectives are plans to increase our membership and enhance our community outreach efforts. Marshfield Key Club has already entrenched itself within the community, upholding time-honored traditions and mentoring the incoming freshman class to inspire the next generation of leaders.”

In recent years, Key Club has been a huge part of designing and redesigning the campus grounds near the main building. They have also helped with city beautification projects and invested many hours in the community.

“It’s challenging for me to pinpoint just one favorite facet of our organization,” said Thompson. “But if I were to choose, the sense of community, our impact within our school and the communities we serve, and the invaluable friendships formed here would be at the top of my list.”

Attending the club meetings and completing a membership form is crucial to participation in Key Club. Science teacher Rachel Lyon oversees it; any questions may be directed toward her or Thompson. 

Speech and debate is both a club and an elective class at MHS. This academic sport is available to students from junior high throughout high school. Many colleges also offer it for people pursuing those interests. The sport is an extremely respected activity and competitive in nature, yet teamwork is a key importance. It gives students an opportunity to express how they feel about certain topics, and it allows them to be heard. 

Coached by Kayla Crook for nearly 12 years, the MHS speech and debate team still shines with a stellar reputation. 

“I really like the community and how everyone is really accepting, and how it’s a safe community for everybody to express their feelings,” says member Abigail Erb, who is starting her second year on the team. “Speech and debate teaches confidence and also areas you’re passionate about. It helps you learn how to construct your thoughts to be effective and introduces you to new ideas.” 

The club takes tons of work and so much energy goes into each piece, but the harder the work, the more rewarding it is. The first tournament is called South Coast Invitationals, and it takes place on October 14th.

The Outdoor Club has been one of the most popular clubs at MHS. They have gone on many trips over the years and their most recent trip was to Costa Rica over the summer. Senior Jake Green has been part of the club since his eighth grade year, and helps recruit members now. He has been able to maintain membership easily, because this club does not require a ton of meeting time. Trips are also usually on the weekends or during school breaks, which is convenient for students with other responsibilities.

Becoming part of the club is a great way to connect with nature and learn about different ecosystems. It offers opportunities for physical fitness through hiking and other activities. They also promote teamwork and leadership skills. Plus, they’re a fun way to make new friends with similar interests. 

“I’ve always enjoyed having fun outdoors, and the outdoor club is a great way to do that,” said Green. 

The club has an upcoming week-long trip to the Dominican Republic in June. Anyone interested in becoming a member should contact counselor Chelsea Burns, who is the adviser.

“My favorite part of the outdoor club is getting to have exciting adventures in nature with friends,” Green said. “Like ziplining and skiing.”