Dear underclass, from your seniors

Dear Underclassmen,

When it comes to academics, try your hardest and do your best. If you’re struggling,

don’t be afraid to ask for help. The point of school is to try new things and to prepare you for the future. High school is like the sweet spot in life, you don’t have adult responsibilities yet but you get to experience so many different things. Try not to focus on a math test you failed, or a basketball game you lost, or the science class you missed for an appointment. It isn’t the end of the world. 

Get out of your comfort zone and be involved. Join clubs, sports, or any activities going on. If you never try it then you might regret it. Schoolwork should be prioritized but it is also really important to spend time with friends

and have a social life. 

Lastly, find a balance with everything: school, friends, sports, clubs. It really is a lot to take care of. Possibly set up certain days or times where you focus on one thing and then alternate to the next. Personally, I use my free time at school to finish any homework and then when I get home I hang out with friends. As with anything, don’t forget to make time for yourself. Take a minute to breathe and relax, try not to let everything overwhelm or stress you. High school shouldn’t be this awful experience–be adventurous and let yourself have fun!

– Autum Burford, Class of 2023

Dear MHS underclassmen, 

It’s important to remember that high school is an experience you may only get once. It may seem like it’s dragging on forever and that you will never see the day you get to walk across the stage. But sure enough, that time will come and when you are reminiscing on what high school has meant to you, make sure that they will be good memories. Memories that will last you a lifetime. Show up to school, be nice to your teachers and friends, dress up for the silly spirit  days, and cheer till you can’t. Don’t stretch yourself too thin and remember to find fun in every corner. After all, high school only happens once. 

-Ellie Delgado, Class of 2023

A Message for Underclassmen…

“…Life is like a mop and sometimes life gets full of dirt…you gotta clean it out. You gotta put it in and rinse it off and start all over again…but if that doesn’t work, you can’t give up.” -Stanley Spadowski 

All schools, life, and a lot of other things and people can be a dirty mop if you don’t know the way around the system. The way of the double edged mop can be a rough one, but it can also be very fulfilling like it has been for me. 

Right before the seventh grade I moved here to Coos Bay from Albany. I lost my friends, my status, and much more. But this transition gave me a good lesson in the ways of the mop. The dirty mop will keep you on your feet. If you’re not focused, the mop will knock everything to the floor. 

But above all be yourself, be kind, stay involved, and pick yourself up when you fall down and maybe put one or two wet floor signs up along the way.

-Jonas Batdorff, Class of 2023